5 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Forklift
If you are considering buying a forklift, it is important you take the time to ask a few questions and make sure you have everything you need to make an informed decision. Purchasing a forklift is undoubtedly a big decision that the majority of businesses do not take lightly. Because of the vast number of forklifts on the market today, starting to shop around can be overwhelming for many. Whether you are a small business or a large corporation, buying a forklift is a major investment that should not be rushed. We encourage you to take the following questions into consideration and take your time before you make your final decision. By asking the right questions, you will have a much better chance of selecting the right forklift for your specific needs. As mentioned, there are many different styles, makes, and models of forklifts out there today, which means there may be one that is better suited for your business than others.
Whether you are thinking about buying a used or new forklift, make sure you pay attention to the quality of the machine and weigh your options. There are numerous used forklifts out there that are just as good as new ones, but at a much better value. Do your research and come prepared with a list of questions to ask the seller. You never know, this could mean the difference between walking away with a machine that will last you many years and one that will cause you nothing but trouble. With that in mind, here are 5 questions to ask before buying a forklift in Irving:
- Why are you selling this particular forklift? This is probably one of the most important questions to ask, especially when buying a used machine. Asking the right questions and finding out why the owner is selling their used forklift can help you make the right decision. You do not want to make a deal with a forklift salesman, only to get home and find out the machine has riddled full of problems.
- What are some of the most pressing maintenance costs? Understanding a forklift’s maintenance costs and needs is another important element of making the purchase. You must make sure you can afford the maintenance upkeep before making a deal. If you learn that the costs to keep the forklift up and running are more than what you are willing – and can – pay, maybe you should reconsider.
- What work abilities can the forklift perform? By this point you should have a good understanding of what you need the forklift for, so make sure you ask the seller about the machine’s work abilities. For example, you will need to know what load sizes and weights it can handle, as well as how it navigates in tight spaces and what the maximum lifting height is.
- What is the machine’s history? Again, if you are buying a used forklift always make sure you understand the condition of the forklift and how it was previously used. While a machine may appear to be in great condition, there could be hidden issues that are not as obvious to the naked eye. Get a history of the forklift, if possible, as this will give you a better idea of how it has been maintained and operated.
- Does the forklift come with any additional attachments? In many cases a forklift will come with separate tools and attachments, which could help sweeten the pot. You may also be able to purchase additional attachments. Ask which attachments are available or included, as this could help drive your decision.
Buying a forklift is not an easy decision, but we are here to help. Please feel free to contact Ace Equipment today if you are considering buying a new or used forklift in the Irving area. We are happy to answer any questions you may have!